Forums 🚦 HYOSUNG CULTURE 😃 General Chat Does Hyosung have more engine/carburettor/electrical problems than others?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Geoffrey
      • Topics: 9
      • Replies: 23
      @happy-wanderer
      County Durham, England
      ST7

I know this can often appear the case with single-make forums, and indeed when I last owned a BMW motorcycle it was the same, almost endless tales of woe on that forum, but does the Hyosung brand actually have more engine/carburettor/electrical problems or issues than other modern brands.  The sheer number of owners that I read on here with starting and running issues, entailing much frustrating tinkering-with and frequently expensive replacement parts or improvement updates, often on relatively new bikes, is worrying.  Surely, it cannot all be down to mis-use by previous owners.  Sadly, not only bikes on this forum, but so many that I see for sale on Ebay and Gumtree look to be suffering from the same seemingly endemic faults and mysterious issues.  Has something gone seriously wrong with the world-beating production standards in the Republic of Korea, or are they just sourcing everything from hit-and-miss Chinese motor factories?  I don’t imagine that there is a definitive answer.

Simon
      • Topics: 1
      • Replies: 251
      @syco
      Kent
      Gt250 f1

Tbh I don’t really think they do, the biggest issues are what the Japanese bikes & others suffered 30 odd years ago which is charging. Now the culprit for this is not the stator it’s the simply terrible rectifier which then takes the stator with it.

Change the rectifier for a shindengin one problem solved the other is just general corrosion in connections which is easy to deal with.

Simon
      @syco
      Kent
      Gt250 f1

Forgot to say the fuel issues are down to the rubbish fuels we have now. Years ago you could use carb cleaner or an airline to clear the carbs out but now with the complex carbs manufacturers use the only way to make sure they are clean is ultrasonics everything else is a waste of time.

Geoffrey
      • Topics: 9
      • Replies: 23
      @happy-wanderer
      County Durham, England
      ST7

Some relevant points there Simon, but other brands do not seem to have the same issues, at least as far as I can see and read.  All the bikes that I’ve owned in recent years have been fuel-injected, so it does sound like riders should steer well-clear of anything with a carb’ if you have to use E10 fuel though.

♠️ MARCEL
      Admin
      • Topics: 45
      • Replies: 1,706
      @mf448kxn6
      North UK
      GTR

I wanted to add by saying even Honda’s are mentioned somewhere on the GOV UK site  to use E5 if they are very old carb models , although , using e10 on modern machines still presents a problem,  it still means  the more e10 usage the more maintenance later down the road the machine requires. Though some say it is “EFi E10 Ready” just so the auto makers can stay in business & sell products on top of EU’s stupid laws lol.     They also think we may handle E30 in the near future ? I’d love to see that! (E5 still wins, if it ever stays around lol ) .

On Simon’s note in regards to “Shingden” regs. I wholly recommend them and they should have been factory for every 650cc that left Korea’s plants.   I have witnessed with my own eyes a regulator going in smoke when a customer called me for help locally , all he did was change the battery , I was truly amazed the inferior outsourced part actually also cooked up his LCD display on the bike  , I felt bad for him.    Needless to say ,   Australians have been saying the same woes on their 650s online with connectors burning etc – That was enough for me to never sell new 650 oem regs  (Hyosung doesn’t make them anyway, still outsourced to this day) – Shingden all the way for me.

// Meditation doesn't mean you have to sit still....

Simon
      @syco
      Kent
      Gt250 f1

I would add that they are surprisingly well made, the main problem you get when buying a used one can normally be traced back to poor maintenance or bad work carried out by someone who thinks they know what they are doing. I had so many bikes & believe me some of the previous work I have uncovered even by dealers makes me wonder what the hell they were thinking

Steve
      • Replies: 8
      @greenie
      Penrherber, Cymru
      ST7

Mostly I agree with the above that the history of a bike is more important than the tank badge, in most cases. I suspect those living outside fare the worse.

One of the few advantages of being 67 and a lifelong biker is an experience of many bikes of varying makes and age.

So far I’ve owned 37 motorcycles, only 3 of them from new. The quality of the ST7 I bought when it was 4yrs old with 3800mls on the clock stands up pretty well. I did some reading before purchase so was prepared for the rectifier/stator issue, both replaced after 500 miles and no issues since.

The only electrical issue since was the sidestand switch failing, I partly blame myself for that as I’d allowed it to get engulfed in crud.

It will not surprise anyone that the make with most electrical issues was Cossack, before they switched importers to Neval. My Planeta 350 single (new) was horrible, turn the handlebars and a couple of connectors would break or separate somewhere. They’d wired the oil light in reverse so “on” meant oil was being pumped, took me some anxious miles to figure that out.

Otherwise only the Enfield India 350 (new) and a ropey ex-police Tiger 650 Triumph repeatedly failed electrically. Even the Ural 750 which had the “hand grenade” alternator worked fine. My James 197 did catch fire once though.

I also admit to not liking EFI rather than carbs, but then I’m a bit old 🙂 Replacing the in-tank fuel pump in a Guzzi made me thankful for my boy sized hands.

The finish on the Hyosung seems pretty decent as well, no quick rusting bits yet though the exhaust headpipe bolts have some very slight tarnish. I’ve had a few japanese m/c where the finish on the engine cases turned into a form of metal cheese after a couple of uk winters so they are not immune from faults.

Just my 5p worth.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.