Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Daniel
      • Topics: 3
      • Replies: 5
      @danielfil99
      Perth, Western Australia
      2006 GT250

After retuning from a away mission, and after working on my son’s bike, as stated in the rider intro’s my aging 50,000+klm gt250 with many issues. I am going to check the valve clearances and explode the top end of at least the front cylinder.
      I am doing this because the cam chain tensioners have been just replaced and the noise still exists at idle. Similar to the video’sĀ  in this thread on this forum:

Cam Timing Issue/ Valve Adjustment

As on this guys video of running I am getting a similar sound. I could video the sound, though its safer for my engine not to.

After searching on this forum, I suspect the diameter of the shims for my bike is 7.48mm, I would like to verify this before I outlay $$ again to, or not to fix the problem. I know as the guy at this forum was told in his thread it may also be more sinister.

More background information, is the front cylinder is louder ticking than any and it always runs hotter than the rear. So I will start there.

Simon
      • Topics: 1
      • Replies: 258
      @syco
      Kent
      Gt250 f1

7.48 Suzuki size are the ones

Daniel
      • Topics: 3
      • Replies: 5
      @danielfil99
      Perth, Western Australia
      2006 GT250

Hi all, today I took off the cam cover on the front cylinder, I set, I think I did, the crank mark for the front cylinder, and attempted to measure the gap on the intake valves.

The intake right lobe is quite out of spec, looking from the front. I need to research this further as am going up to head height in shit at the moment. Even if I correctly measure the gap and if I can remove the shim to replace, it looks quite expensive to get a shim kit 7.48mm of decent quality. Even below 180$au seems a bit expensive.
      Has anyone tried to go to a Suzuki dealer for parts and been able to get only shims?? If I can measure them correctly and calculate the shims required.

Also I can get a generic 7.48mm shim kit off Ebay for a third of the cost of quality, no guarantee of fitment, this is all a learning curve for me, as these shims off Ebay are not Suzuki specific. I do not know enough yet about the differences between them ( shims) other than diameter.

Any thoughts, anyone?

Simon
      • Topics: 1
      • Replies: 258
      @syco
      Kent
      Gt250 f1

I just got a generic 7.48 kit I do check the size accurately with a micrometer & tbh they are spot on, I have used them on a lot of engines & never had a single issue

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.