Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      jasoncampbell
      • Topics: 3
      • Replies: 5
      @jasoncampbell
      South Wales
      GV650 Carb

Just an introduction, I’m a ‘born again biker, pushing 53 years old and passed my test back in 1985. I drifted away from biking over time with only occasional forays on a hire/ daily basis.  Last year I was diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer, not good.  I had planned to buy a motorcycle around that time but put things on hold- a few weeks ago I decided to take the plunge and bought a 2008 GV650 in pretty good condition, although I feel a bit steep at £1600.  Anyway a few more £100s to get the gear, and a fiddle around with the side stand switch, has got the thing ticking over but it is only today that I finally got around to tax and insurance- with such a gap of time since regular riding my comprehensive insurance is a rather frightening £370 this year thanks to no ‘no claims’.  Thanks Carol Nash…

My past biking history took in sports bike, one Harley Sportster and quite a few old classics- classics are where I tend to like to be but I decided what with time not being on my side I’d go with something this millennium.  Ultimately though there isn’t a bike style I don’t like (singles, twins a V-Twins mainly I suppose), it was just that the GV650 was about the right size and I liked its somewhat unusual approach.

What I don’t like is the ugly as sin exhaust (then again, the HD Street Rod is no better) and I can see that probably going after MOT time in a few weeks.  Also, I see no need for a pillion so I can see the whole back end getting some attention if my health allows.  I’ll be a fair-weather biker, partly because of health and partly because that is what happens as you get older- the car is always there.  I’ll probably just restrict myself to my part of South Wales, no grand tours.  In my mind I’d like a light ‘bagger’ look, it came with a screen and bags

I joined the website for the inevitable advice really, I have heard things, not good things, about electrics and how swapping out Kawa parts can be wise and I’m guessing some of you guys will be helpful around issues like that.  Will try and get some photos up. Before I take any spanners to it, great that the manuals are on this website as well.

Projects for this week are to fit dashcams and a double USB2 socket.  There’s a top box that needs to go and a few other parts off the back end as I won’t be touring.  Plans for riding are to get out early (thankfully it is light by 5am) and get used to those forward controls and large turning circle.

Anyway, hopefully I won’t make a pain of myself asking too many questions.  In the back of my mind I am thinking about that Elan Valley ride, one of my favourites, if not favourite roads- but maybe a bit of a run so soon as getting back on two wheels.

I’m thick skinned and pretty easy to get on with so hopefully we’ll all get along just fine!

Andy650
      • Replies: 28
      @andy
      Surrey
      GV 650 Aquila

Welcome Jason

Sorry to hear about your health problems, hope you get out for plenty of rides as we all know it’s good for the soul.

Note that you’re not keen on the exhaust or rear end look. Have to say I actually like the look and sound of the massive exhaust, give it a chance, maybe it’ll grow on you and remember you are not looking at the back when riding the bike.

Safe riding and plenty of it.

Andy

jasoncampbell
      • Replies: 5
      @jasoncampbell
      South Wales
      GV650 Carb

I won’t be rushing into anything, especially cosmetic. The exhaust note is OK, a bit loader would be nice but otherwise it is fine. I may look at partially wrapping the exhaust in ‘carbon’ so the main body of the can is black- sort of like the short stubby designs but obviously not short or stubby. I also need to get more with the @Tron’ style that is the GV650, really that is what attracted me over just some other cruiser- it isn’t screaming Harley Clone to the same extent. I ‘might’ consider wrapping the can in fake carbon fibre, so it looks like a long ‘snubby’ exhaust that is popular on many bikes at the moment- or I might try the same with black paint- or I may just leave well alone.

What I will concentrate on is getting advice here on what parts I should really upgrade, which seem to be in the main swapping out electrics for Jap stuff? My model is 2008 so quite old. The top box has already come off, it doesn’t look that bad but I want a clean back end, ideally running boards, and the screen.

I plan to just stick the bike in for its MOT (due in 10 days) and get a service done then, fluids obviously, and plugs, is there anything else I should flag up to the mechanic. Given my diagnosis I’m not really interested in doing all that myself as it involves buying tools I won’t get great use of- in future I’ll do the maintaince that I can based on the manual on the website but for now I’d like to try and start with a clean slate. The mechanic I plan to use is recommended to me, not a main dealer but has a good name.

Am I correct in understanding you might be able to advise me on some of the parts I should be considering swapping out for reliability? If so, do you have any suggestions and recommendations? Here in South East Wales the heavens have just opened so I am expecting some electrical fun later. It would be great if I could build a list of the electrical components I should be thinking of ordering/ swapping- I have already bypassed the kick stand switch as that was causing problems- and I have a posh, heavy duty (went a bit higher on spec) lithium battery arriving today as the lead acid isn’t up to much (when are they with a used bike).

Many thanks in advance if you can give me the benefit of your experience.

Andy650
      • Replies: 28
      @andy
      Surrey
      GV 650 Aquila

Jason, I am similar to you in that I’m an aged returning biker (62) who got one of these for fair weather riding because I liked the look and the fact it’s a bit different.

There are a couple on here well clued up on Hyosung but mainly on the 125 and 250 versions. Marcel certainly knows a lot and I think he runs this website.

There is some information regarding our 650’s, but from what I’ve read there could be quite a difference between our bikes as mine is a 17 reg. I am certainly not the person to be giving out advice on technical matters, but if you ask a question people try to help.

Andy

♠️ MARCEL
      Admin
      • Topics: 45
      • Replies: 1,738
      @mf448kxn6
      North UK
      GTR

Hey,
      Adding to Andy’s comments , there is indeed a couple of 650 guys on the forum much  1 on of them has owned a 2007 650 GTR for 12+ years from new, so he has certainly got wisdom too he shares on facebook, it is Barry

Speaking of , good that you are back on the bike, all that’s left is good memory excercise by checking out one of the service manuals in this forum , having a good read will familarise you more with the bike & how it behaves,  although your mechanic will be working on the bike, least the book will point to troubleshooting , interval checks etc.

When the bike is running normally like a stock machine, that’s good ,  with the 650s  generally for electrics some owners go as far as changing the stator for some Ninja ones.

All CC hyosungs generally have these changed out (& for good reason)
      – Ignition Coils
      – Regulators
      – Better lights (ie. Osram Nightbreakers etc)
      – Harness is inspected and extra tape in places will help it get less water attacks
      – ACF50 to protect all wiring terminals.
      – Better HT Caps
      – Better Spark Plugs
      – Battery
      – Stators
      – Radiator Fan (DIY work etc if failing to replace the stock)
      – Sidestand switch bypassed. (the most useless device on the bike!)

I could go on but some of these things above may indeed cause a discussion with your wallet but  usually in the long run saves from  cuts from rides  or replacing the stock item too frequently,  eg. regulators hyosung branded rarely last 1yr without starting to wane…

Generally it will last as well as its maintaned & cared upon ,   just a shame that my own opinion concludes KR makes some interesting looking bikes  but certain electrics would be better off from the japanese lol.

Welcome to the forum,  & ride easy out there!

If you’re around wales 10th Aug, you may think of seeing us at the next hyo meet in wales , details are in the events section of this forum .   I do hope to make it there myself  if not then Pete the organizer is taking care of the herd lol.

// Meditation doesn't mean you have to sit still....

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.