• Author
      Erwin
      • Topics: 1
      • Replies: 3
      @dutchgv650
      Amsterdam
      GV650

Hi,

Any one ever experienced a ratling noise from the engine when idling or driving at very low speed?

The noise disappears as soon as the clutch handle is activated or running the engine at slightly higher speed.

It seems not to impact on performance so far but am a bit affraid it might damage something inside the engine.

Before I take the engine apart I thought to ask if someone has experienced this and found a possible cause.

♠️ MARCEL
      Administrator
      • Topics: 38
      • Replies: 383
      @mf448kxn6
      North UK
      GTR

We don’t know the history of your servicing, especially the clutch.

The noises you describe is likely the clutch basket – inside the clutch basket,  it’s easier to sort out  worn springs (vs the service limit)  and the rolling bearing that sits in front of the basket,  this bearing is part of keeping ur clutch smooth.

You want the metal discs in between to sit flat on glass table (no distortion,  lest it shakes).  The fibre plates will have a wear limit just like brakes, so check plates arent too worn down.  They will rattle yes.

Speaking of rattle, look inside the clutch basket, and check there isn’t any deep dentures/marks caused by the plates staying in a certain postion for too long,  you want the edges of the basket to be smoother, so plates n discs will slide back and forth better, during engagement.

I’ve attached the screenshot which talks about the noise you described.  Manual is in the forums, good luck!

// Meditation doesn't mean you have to sit still....

Erwin
        @dutchgv650
        Amsterdam
        GV650

Hello Marcel,

Checked all clutch parts but found no obvious damage, wear or out of tollerance parts. Plate 1 (7) are 2.97 mm, plate 2 is 3.48mm so well above the minimum, steel plates all flat and no warping or burn marks. Clutch release bearing looks fine as well as do all spacers, the basket does not show any damage or marks.

Think I need to start looking at the gearside, may be the shifter forks or a bearing. Lost of work of course as I need to take the whole engine off the bike for that.

Bike has done 8000km (5000 miles) and has had regular maintenance like oil and filter changes.

If you hear of anything else to check please let me know. I will update as soon as I have time to disassemble the engin completely and check all parts.

Erwin
      @dutchgv650
      Amsterdam
      GV650

Hi Marcel,

Thank you so  much for the tips, I will look in to this and inform you of the results later.

Got the service manual already, it should be easy to follow that. Already dismantled the clutch, thinking it might be the culprit, most likely the bearing,. Will check each item later this weekend.

Regards

Erwin

♠️ MARCEL
      Administrator
      • Topics: 38
      • Replies: 383
      @mf448kxn6
      North UK
      GTR

Hello Marcel, Checked all clutch parts but found no obvious damage, wear or out of tollerance parts. Plate 1 (7) are 2.97 mm, plate 2 is 3.48mm so well above the minimum, steel plates all flat and no warping or burn marks. Clutch release bearing looks fine as well as do all spacers, the basket does not show any damage or marks. Think I need to start looking at the gearside, may be the shifter forks or a bearing. Lost of work of course as I need to take the whole engine off the bike for that. Bike has done 8000km (5000 miles) and has had regular maintenance like oil and filter changes. If you hear of anything else to check please let me know. I will update as soon as I have time to disassemble the engin completely and check all parts.

Before diving to splitting the motor,  also check the springs also vs the service limit?
      Check the actuating arm  (where cable connects) is aligned according to the cartoon diagram in the books (so clutch is actually disengaged, rather than being slightly pulled even though its neutral)

Grasp the hub of the clutch with your hand and see if it “moves” even the slightest, but crank bearings should be ok, as 5k miles is a young machine

When re-testing the bike, see if the clutch makes any noises , this time your ears are at the basket during idling,  and also hearing & feeling the engine while riding ,  the wind is noisy but see if you can pay attention only during gear changes?

// Meditation doesn't mean you have to sit still....

Erwin
      @dutchgv650
      Amsterdam
      GV650

Hi, Finally found the cause of the problems.

There are two big spacers in the clutch assembly, item nr 4 p/n 09160H20002 in the drawing of  the parts catalog below. These spacers are prone to wear at their contact areas and this may cause vrbration in the clutch assembly with the clutch lever in rest position. The noise disappears as soon as the clutch handle is activated or when the engine runs just slightly above idle speed.

Replacing the spacers the problems disappeared completely. A cheap fix all in al and not very hard to do once the problem was found.

Hope this may be of use to other 650 riders.

Daz
      • Topics: 3
      • Replies: 6
      @dazz
      Costa Blanca
      2007 GV650 EFI

Thanks, I need to check mine as I’m having the same issues.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar