Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Alan McLean
      • Topics: 8
      • Replies: 56
      @macker
      Orihuela Spain
      Aquila GV125

Has anyone fitted POD filters to a GV125? Are they a good or bad modification?

โ™ ๏ธ MARCEL
      Administrator
      • Topics: 38
      • Replies: 461
      @mf448kxn6
      North UK
      GTR

Hundreds have probably tried pods on GTs and GV twins of the small capacity (125/250), they always failed.ย  Even myself, I tried every trick to keep the bike happy on pods but sadly, the airbox always wins.

So i would keep the box ๐Ÿ‘

// Meditation doesn't mean you have to sit still....

Alan McLean
      @macker
      Orihuela Spain
      Aquila GV125

I was afraid you were going to say that ๐Ÿ˜”

Have ever tried modifying the airbox to make it easier to remove and refit?

Moustache Man
      • Topics: 5
      • Replies: 11
      @benjaminsmith
      Colchester
      GV125 2016

I have attempted to install a pod filter. Well, I cannot really call it a “pod”, it had a 76mm diameter.

I had to remove the fuel tank, remove the horrible looking bracket and remove the air intake box. Pain in the arse to remove it without taking the tank off so dont bother. Once finally installing it and attempting to ride the bike, of course it was running wayyyyyy too lean and barely made it above 4000rpm. So i duct-taped 3/4 of the air intake, completely reversing the whole point of an aftermarket air filter, to increase air to the engine, but I ended up blocking it again. The bike ran fine, sounded louder and was lighter. It also looked cool.

However, I am desperate to remove the airbox entirely, just so I can access those yummy carbs. I have a lovely aftermarket set of carb jets waiting to be fitted, so I can reinstall my filter properly. I did manage to find a place that say they can “take apart the carbs from the GV125”, so i’ll have to check them out when I service the bike in January. With my new sprocket kit (thanks marcel it did arrive, getting it fitted tomorrow!), carb tune, air filter, and my gutted muffler, the bike should be hitting 80mph no problem. Maybe even more

Ignore the crappy exhaust wrap, I have changed that since taking this photo!ย 

Alan McLean
      @macker
      Orihuela Spain
      Aquila GV125

Hi Ben, yeah I’ve been thinking about getting rid of the airbox altogether and putting on individual pods (2) with pipes going to each carb. I had to remove my carb’s to clean them and it was a real pain in the arse getting that airbox out and even more difficult to get it back in again. Now I have to take the carb’s out again so not looking forward to that.๐Ÿ˜” However I have been told that the GV125 does not like running on POD’s and it is better to keep the airbox, but if you need to remove the carb’s regularly as you do for maintenance having POD’s would make the task so much easier.

How is your bike performing on the Pod?

โ™ ๏ธ MARCEL
      Administrator
      @mf448kxn6
      North UK
      GTR

No matter what Alan, I’ve tried everything, the box just wins.

The poster above you says he had to “un-cone”ย  (basically go back to as stock as he can) then the bike responds better.ย  Not the engine’s fault but the nature of the CV carb has made sure it wants a box not for air flow, also air pressure and other science.ย ย  Pods just run too weird and it’s an abyss getting it right.ย  If a 250cc uses the same carb and airbox, i doubt the 125 will exceed its capacity ๐Ÿ˜‰

Alan McLean
      @macker
      Orihuela Spain
      Aquila GV125

Hi Marcel, it’s not increased air flow/volume I’m looking for it’s an easier option for removing the carb’s for servicing other than having to remove that airbox which is a nightmare to remove and refit. But it looks like I’m stuck with it as you have a lot more experience and knowledge of the GV than I have.๐Ÿ‘

Moustache Man
      • Topics: 5
      • Replies: 11
      @benjaminsmith
      Colchester
      GV125 2016

I agree with Marcel, any pod/aftermarket air filter is such a pain on these bikes, they were designed to produce the most power (14.2hp) with the stock airbox etc etc.

Alan, I removed that aftermarket air filter, as it was just a pain really. With my home-made gasket, it ran fine but thats only because I was restricting the airflow to mimic the airflow given from the stock box. The filter was purely for looks at this point, and despite the weight reduction, I have put the old one back on.

Its a shame, as I would love to push as much power out of these engines as possible, but im happy with what ive got. Good luck and stay safe

Alan McLean
      @macker
      Orihuela Spain
      Aquila GV125

Thanks Ben, as you and Marcel agree that POD’s do not work on these machines it looks like I’m stuck with the airbox. It was worth asking the asking the question now I can just forget about it. ๐Ÿ‘

โ™ ๏ธ MARCEL
      Administrator
      @mf448kxn6
      North UK
      GTR

You can however…..

Make a metal box with 2 holes under it. Then rubber gromets for the carb to slide in to the box.

A full welded box but its narrower to clear the frame. Enclosed unit like the plastic oem box.

Extra hole at the front that allows a BIG flexi pipe to the front right mini oem air filter box.

There. We just remade the top air chamber out of metal ; a little narrower to clear the frame for ease of removal.

Then weld a little metal plate hinge kind of thing that allows it to be secured to frame bar so it doesnt rattle.ย  ย The hinge moves out of the way (once unscrewed) for metal box to come out.

Takes brains and money to accomplish this!

โ™ ๏ธ MARCEL
      Administrator
      @mf448kxn6
      North UK
      GTR

Something like that. But a wide box similar to OEM cause that in pic^ is too damn small.ย  But you get the gist.

3rd hole is just to link tubing to the side from box(where oem filter is)

See that it has a hook hole?

A bolt goes through it. Then screws to metal hinge thingy thats on the GV frame (weld one on to it).ย  ย Creativity ideas thats all.

I say big box cause volumetric pressure is needed. So size matters.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar