Viewing 33 reply threads
  • Author
      Luke
      • Topics: 1
      • Replies: 23
      @luke
      Spain
      GV125 Aquila

My 2013 GV125 loses power on any sort of incline.

I have changed the plugs, caps, leads and coils. Oil change. New air filter. 520 sprocket set and chain. 90 & 92.5 main jets. Leovince Silvertail exhaust.

After changing the main jets, the performance dropped even more.

I am only getting 50mph on the flat. On any sort of incline the engine boggs and struggles. I took the air filter out and took it for a run. There was a small improvement.

The plugs are new so difficult to tell the colour but look coffee brown.

I can’t remove the air box so haven’t managed to take off the carb. Run a tank of carb cleaner additive. Went in through the side to change the main jets.

I have noticed that there is some surface cracking on the inlet manifolds.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Luke
      @luke
      Spain
      GV125 Aquila

It starts and idles fine and the low end acceleration is good.

Alan McLean
      • Topics: 8
      • Replies: 54
      @macker
      Orihuela Spain
      Aquila GV125

Have you tried pulling on the choke when it starts to big down? If it picks up with choke on then it’s a fueling issue.

Luke
      @luke
      Spain
      GV125 Aquila

Have you tried pulling on the choke when it starts to big down? If it picks up with choke on then it’s a fueling issue.

Yes I have tried that. No difference.

Alan McLean
      @macker
      Orihuela Spain
      Aquila GV125

Then it could be a vacuum leak, check all your lines for fit and condition. I would do this before tackling the inlet manifolds, although cracks may be visible they could be just surface cracks but check all your line’s first.

Have you checked your charging system?

Luke
      @luke
      Spain
      GV125 Aquila

Luke
      @luke
      Spain
      GV125 Aquila

Then it could be a vacuum leak, check all your lines for fit and condition. I would do this before tackling the inlet manifolds, although cracks may be visible they could be just surface cracks but check all your line’s first. Have you checked your charging system?

I have visually checked all of the pipes and no splits.

Not checked the charging system yet. What should I be looking for?

Alan McLean
      @macker
      Orihuela Spain
      Aquila GV125

Wow that’s a lot of cracking, a simple test is to get a can of carb cleaner and while the engine is running spray some carb cleaner at the intake manifold, if the engine revs rise when you spray the carb cleaner you have a leak.

Simple test on the charging system is to put a volt meter on the battery and check the voltage with everything switched off you should be getting over 12 volts, turn on ignition voltage should drop, start engine you should be getting 14 volts at idle, rev to 5k rpm you should be getting between 14.5 and 15 volts.

Luke
      @luke
      Spain
      GV125 Aquila

I will try both of those in a bit.

Luke
      @luke
      Spain
      GV125 Aquila

Wow that’s a lot of cracking, a simple test is to get a can of carb cleaner and while the engine is running spray some carb cleaner at the intake manifold, if the engine revs rise when you spray the carb cleaner you have a leak. Simple test on the charging system is to put a volt meter on the battery and check the voltage with everything switched off you should be getting over 12 volts, turn on ignition voltage should drop, start engine you should be getting 14 volts at idle, rev to 5k rpm you should be getting between 14.5 and 15 volts.

The battery is 12.2v turned off.

14.2v at idle.

14.6v at 5k revs.

Sprayed carb cleaner on the manifolds with no increase in revs.

Luke
      @luke
      Spain
      GV125 Aquila

A point to note:

Before I bought the bike it had sat for four years. Maybe the carb cleaner additive hasn’t done its job and it needs the carb stripping down and cleaned properly.

Alan McLean
      @macker
      Orihuela Spain
      Aquila GV125

You said it starts and idles and low end power is good! Idle and low end is on the pilot jet as you open the throttle the main jet’s come into play, have you checked the operation of the needle slider, is it sliding smoothly and not sticking?

Luke
      @luke
      Spain
      GV125 Aquila

You said it starts and idles and low end power is good! Idle and low end is on the pilot jet as you open the throttle the main jet’s come into play, have you checked the operation of the needle slider, is it sliding smoothly and not sticking?

I am kind of new to bikes. Where is the needle slider located?

Alan McLean
      @macker
      Orihuela Spain
      Aquila GV125

Alan McLean
      @macker
      Orihuela Spain
      Aquila GV125

Luke
      @luke
      Spain
      GV125 Aquila

Ok. I will check them out tomorrow.

Thanks

Alan McLean
      @macker
      Orihuela Spain
      Aquila GV125

Located on the right hand side of the carb, first picture shows the carb’s with one cover removed, second picture is of the needle slider removed from carb the is also a spring under each cover (not shown) the needle slides up and down in the main jet, the needle is tapered so as it rises it allows more fuel to enter. Check to make it slides freely without sticking also check the diaphragm (black rubber part on top of the slider picture one) for damage split’s etc. This can all be done with the carb’s in situ.

Luke
      @luke
      Spain
      GV125 Aquila

Great. Thanks mate.

I’ll keep you posted

Alan McLean
      @macker
      Orihuela Spain
      Aquila GV125

No problem.👍

Luke
      @luke
      Spain
      GV125 Aquila

Checked the needle sliders. Removed and cleaned.Diaphrams are both good.

I followed the mod tutorial and moved the cir-clips down one notch. The rear was on 3 and the front was on 4. I moved them so they are both on 4. As stated, both should be the same.

One question I have is, the tutorial says if you have a standard air filter, cut the scorkel. Whats the snorkel?

Luke
      @luke
      Spain
      GV125 Aquila

Update.

Needle sliders are moving freely. Just come back from a test ride. Unfortunately no change. Again rides slightly better without the air filter but still bogging badly.

Any more suggestions please?

♠️ MARCEL
      Administrator
      • Topics: 38
      • Replies: 447
      @mf448kxn6
      North UK
      GTR

Update. Needle sliders are moving freely. Just come back from a test ride. Unfortunately no change. Again rides slightly better without the air filter but still bogging badly. Any more suggestions please?

How fast do revs climb up?

The GV doesnt need a snorkel cutting , that applied to the GT bikes due to their more restrictive filter.

By any chance can you upload pics of your spark plugs? We can see if the mixture is too rich or lean.

Have you been spraying carb cleaner near the manifolds, airbox openings, and airbox mounts (on the carb openings)  to see for change of revs?

// Meditation doesn't mean you have to sit still....

Alan McLean
      @macker
      Orihuela Spain
      Aquila GV125

Hi Luke, have you had any success sorting out the problem with your GV.

Luke
      @luke
      Spain
      GV125 Aquila

Update. Needle sliders are moving freely. Just come back from a test ride. Unfortunately no change. Again rides slightly better without the air filter but still bogging badly. Any more suggestions please?

How fast do revs climb up? The GV doesnt need a snorkel cutting , that applied to the GT bikes due to their more restrictive filter. By any chance can you upload pics of your spark plugs? We can see if the mixture is too rich or lean. Have you been spraying carb cleaner near the manifolds, airbox openings, and airbox mounts (on the carb openings) to see for change of revs?

Hi Marcel

Out of gear the revs will redline. Pulling away it will rev high. Getting up into 4th & 5th it will only rev to 7k then starts bogging. Any incline and it will only rev to 6k when I drop it down still only 6k.

Sprayed carb cleaner everywhere and no change in revs.

I managed to get the airbox and carb off yesterday with the aid of a fellow biker. Took off the inlet manifolds ( the front one didn’t have split washers and was a bit loose) even though the manifolds have some surface cracking, the inside was sound. Checked all of the pipes and are all good. Put it all back together and there is a slight improvement but not where it should be. Still bogging.

The plugs are sooty 

Runs better without the air filter so not enough air getting in.

The chrome air filter cover vent is blocked whilst the cover on the other side is open  

Seems wrong to me as no air can get to the filter.

Alan McLean
      @macker
      Orihuela Spain
      Aquila GV125

Hi Luke, have you checked the operation of the choke could it be it’s stuck in the on position! when I got my bike the choke seemed to have no effect when I pulled it on, when I checked it out the choke cable going to the carb was not operating correctly, just a thought as yours is obviously running too rich. Also when you had the carb’s off did you check the float levels?

Luke
      @luke
      Spain
      GV125 Aquila

Hi Luke, have you checked the operation of the choke could it be it’s stuck in the on position! when I got my bike the choke seemed to have no effect when I pulled it on, when I checked it out the choke cable going to the carb was not operating correctly, just a thought as yours is obviously running too rich. Also when you had the carb’s off did you check the float levels?

The choke is working fine and not sticking. I didn’t check the float bowls. Can I check them by going in from the side or do I have to take the carb off again?

Alan McLean
      @macker
      Orihuela Spain
      Aquila GV125

Sorry Luke you will have to take them off again 😔 You have to turn the carb’s so that the float’s are pointing upwards and the float is just resting on the needle valve, measure the height from the top edge of the body to the top float, the measurement should be 7mm.

Luke
      @luke
      Spain
      GV125 Aquila

Bugger!!

That’s a job for the weekend. What do the float bowls do. Could they restrict the amount of air coming into the carb?

Alan McLean
      @macker
      Orihuela Spain
      Aquila GV125

No won’t restrict amount of air but will over fuel the system.

♠️ MARCEL
      Administrator
      • Topics: 38
      • Replies: 447
      @mf448kxn6
      North UK
      GTR

The air filter box sucks air in backwards. The vent at the front was shut to stop incoming rain water going straight to the filter which is a big No No.

The coils have vents to help cool them. The stock coils do warm up a little bit. But mainly the casings are just decoration / hiding things from weather elements.

The GV250 carby has the same capacity. And filter. So dont worry too.much that the box size isnt big enough for a 125.   The air filter itself may be showing signs of needing a replacement.

The plugs look tired. Either they need replacing or the mixture screws of the carb wasnt messed with (?) Or wrong size Pilots (?) Or go with Alans latest reply in regards to floats and choke system.

// Meditation doesn't mean you have to sit still....

Luke
      @luke
      Spain
      GV125 Aquila

The plugs and air filter have only done 300 miles max. Not changed the pilot jets and the rubber plugs over the mixture screws are still in place and have no marks suggesting they have been removed. Choke is working fine.

I will take the carb off at the weekend and check the float bowls. If that doesn’t work I will give up on the bike and get another one. I’ve found another GV in Granada, only 4000km in the clock for 1400€. As soon as I can travel between Spanish provinces I will look at it. Ive got no more hair left to pull out on this bike.

Do you have an air pipe diagram so I can make sure all of the pipes are connected properly?

Thanks for all of your help.

Alan McLean
      @macker
      Orihuela Spain
      Aquila GV125

Stick with it Luke you will get it sorted.

In what part of Spain are you? I’m in Orihuela Costa (Alicante region)

Luke
      @luke
      Spain
      GV125 Aquila

Stick with it Luke you will get it sorted. In what part of Spain are you? I’m in Orihuela Costa (Alicante region)

I am in Huercal Overa, Almeria Province.

Alan McLean
      @macker
      Orihuela Spain
      Aquila GV125

I have been there, we where looking at buying a property in San Juan de Torres.

Viewing 33 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar