• Author
      Marco
      • Topics: 1
      • Replies: 1
      @marcoie
      Ireland
      Comet GT250

Hallo and thanks for having me in the club 🙂

I am a happy owner of a GT250 from 2008 (EFI) which I bought used in Malta, where I was living until not long ago.

The bike was working as a charm, perfect for the short distances in the Island, and for the traffic. I had lot of fun with it, so I decided to bring it with me when I moved to Ireland, but then the problems started.

when is raining, the bike is misfiring, coming to a complete stop if I do not keep the rev high, and if I do so it makes popping sounds. doesn’t need to rain too much for it.

I think the problem may be electric (but not sure), I checked the spark plugs caps and leads (upgraded from the previous owner to the NGK ). The rubber boot did not sealed perfectly the spark well, so i used a metallic zip to be sure it was water tight, but still the problem occurs.

I tried to spray water on the engine and no problem there, can it be the coil? what else? i am a bit lost, and i certainly need a bike reliable in the rain here 🙂

thank you for any suggestion!

♠️ MARCEL
      Administrator
      • Topics: 38
      • Replies: 366
      @mf448kxn6
      North UK
      GTR

Hey welcome to the site and how nice of you to move yourself and your bike to the north islands, but sorry that it is wet sometimes!  We get that in England too lol.

So let’s jump right to it;
      – Use OEM rubber “dust covers” which hide the engine hole , they are on ebay i usually stock them
      – We don’t know on NGK caps of how old they were but we have to assume NGK products rarely fail anyways unless there was some kind of cosmetic damage
      – Try to replace the HT wire with magnecor ones  (from coil to the cap)
      – Try to download the manual on this forum and then follow its guide on how to test your ignition coils to make sure they are in OEM specs.
      – On the same manual , try to remove the airbox, and then test the electrical parts that are mounted near the engine and box ,
      – Check the frame isn’t rusty. Use contact cleaner to “clean every single” exposed wire, every PLUG you find on the bike.
      – Done ? Get  “ACF50”, then apply a small “rain drop” of that stuff in every single plug (INSIDE), this is electrical safe anti-rust agent and also protects from weather attacks (it tries!)

• Check your spark plugs
      • check your air filter , because if water went in , it will annoy the injectors trying to atomize the fuel
      • make sure the harness is good front to back using contact cleaner and the acf50 bottle as mentioned above ^, because its naked bike , so a bit more attention is need compared to a faired up bike in some cases.Try these and see how you get on. Good luck fella!

// Meditation doesn't mean you have to sit still....

Marco
      • Topics: 1
      • Replies: 1
      @marcoie
      Ireland
      Comet GT250

Hi Marcel,

Thank s a million for your answer and your suggestions, I will do all you suggest and let you know how did it go!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar