• Author
      Ian
      • Topics: 1
      • Replies: 2
      @koujimaru
      London
      Gt125r

Hi,

My bike failed an mot test due to the headlamp being too low. I tried to adjust this already but the adjuster won’t make the light angle go up regardless of how much I turn it. It does go down but not up any more.

I was wondering how to fix this by getting into the headlamp itself. Does anyone know if I have to remove fairings to get to the assembly?

Thanks in advance

♠️ MARCEL
      Admin
      • Topics: 45
      • Replies: 1,738
      @mf448kxn6
      North UK
      GTR

Hey,

I would take down the top cowling fairings to access the headlight.

While its naked /exposed. You will get access to the rear of the unit properly and also checking there is no signs of any internal fault or loose bulb fitting.

At least when the lights shine at the wall , you will see if the aim goes up as you adjust behind it.

// Meditation doesn't mean you have to sit still....

Andy650
        • Topics: 3
        • Replies: 28
        @andy
        Surrey
        GV 650 Aquila

Just a thought.

I once had a bike where the light wasn’t in the correct position to pass the mot.

As I pointed out that the light was original as I’d had it from new and the bike was around 15 years old. The mot examiner was a decent guy and we worked out that the headlight glass was for European Motorcycles and all he did to get it through the test was stick a bit of ductape on the glass to redirect the beam.

Its the same for cars, and is to do with whether you drive on the left or right of the road.

Might be worth checking this first before taking things apart.

Good luck

Andy

Ian
      @koujimaru
      London
      Gt125r

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply.

Dumb question but how would I go about removing the top fairing? I haven’t worked on a motorcycle before. I’ve searched online but not much help there.

Thanks in advance.

Ian
      @koujimaru
      London
      Gt125r

Also I forgot to mention that this is the 2016 model. Not sure if that makes any difference

♠️ MARCEL
      Admin
      • Topics: 45
      • Replies: 1,738
      @mf448kxn6
      North UK
      GTR

You could start by making sure the engine side panels are off the frame  (put a carpet or something under the bike)

Unscrew the side panels  (just the sides) then it will come down on the floor with the middle grill still attached to them   (easier)

After that you are left with the top side panels still attached to the headlight brace,  so use this diagram below to help you with disassembly/refitting.

The mirrors can come off during this process too.

Hope that helps.

// Meditation doesn't mean you have to sit still....

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.