Forums 🚥 PIT STOP 🔧 Hyosung Technical Help Float Height for GV125 – GV250 – GT125 – GT250

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Alan McLean
      • Topics: 8
      • Replies: 60
      @macker
      Orihuela Spain
      Aquila GV125

Could someone clarify for me what the float height should be on a GV125, the service manual I downloaded lists it at 17mm but I have also seen a read it at 7mm.

♠️ MARCEL
      Administrator
      • Topics: 38
      • Replies: 519
      @mf448kxn6
      North UK
      GTR

7mm is correct.

17mm is human error and if you tried 17mm the bike will have big issues later.

// Meditation doesn't mean you have to sit still....

Alan McLean
      • Topics: 8
      • Replies: 60
      @macker
      Orihuela Spain
      Aquila GV125

Thanks Marcel, that’s what I thought just wanted confirmation.👍

Eric Ashwell
      • Topics: 1
      • Replies: 3
      @ericashwell
      Gloucester, Massachusetts, USA
      2008 GV250 Aquila

Greetings,

My GV250 Floats were at 8-9, but gas continually ran out the overflow (float too close to gasket and never closing needle – so 7 would be even worse.  carburetor specificationspulled the carb out…again (fun) and I pressure benched the needle and it made a tight seal, so there would have been no reason for fuel to pour through bowl unless floats never rose to close.  I set them at 17 per manual and it won’t even start (too far away and not allowing bowl to fill before closing needle).  Is it a typo in manual (see attached)?

Is there a happy place..I’m thinking 12-14…?

♠️ MARCEL
      Administrator
      • Topics: 38
      • Replies: 519
      @mf448kxn6
      North UK
      GTR

Hey ,
      Have you considered that it may be that the spring-loaded valve that’s under the float is defective ?  It generally bounces back quickly when pushed by hand.

If the spring mechanism is damaged, it will mean the whole fuel valve assembly under the float needs replacing entirely or else it makes for an added stress trying to balance the float heights on the bike.

// Meditation doesn't mean you have to sit still....

Eric Ashwell
        • Topics: 1
        • Replies: 3
        @ericashwell
        Gloucester, Massachusetts, USA
        2008 GV250 Aquila

Thanks Marcel,

I am going to re-set the floats to the 7mm “above” the gasket level per your recommendation, and I have considered that the actuator in the needle was stuck but I had replaced them, and checked that the little spring actuator  was working.  This bike had sat for 10 years when I bought it and I replaced most items and soaked everything in Berryman’s, but there were 2 components in each carb I plan to replace as well for the following reasons:

1.  Float assembly – I have a feeling the float seams were cracked or otherwise compromised and after the 200km that I was able to get it run, I think they may have filled with gas and became less bouyant – I will test this theory in some hot water next time I remove the carb…OR
        2. The float needle housings – Perhaps there was some built up varnish that I was not able to clean and fresh gas loosened it to the point that the needles did not close fully or other wise were hindered in smooth operation.

As I said, this bike sat for 10 years and I cleaned the tank, replaced the petcock, fuel lines, filter, pump, carb gaskets, idle mixture o-rings, main jets (front and rear sized right), idle jets, float needles, carb filters, needle housing o-rings, and thoroughly cleaned the carb.  It ran for 200km (performing progressively worse) and then I figured to adjust the floats.  So I think I am sooooo close!  Considering it did run at first, that 7mm must be correct.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar