• Author
      Nate Dawg
      • Topics: 1
      • Replies: 1
      @nathan8752
      Illinois, USA
      GV650

I have a 2007 GV650 with no spark.

I’m pretty much going through the service manual and performing the checks it describes in the order it prescribes them.  My pickup coil failed a resistance check, with an actual reading of 3.6 ohms, so I replaced that.  Still no spark.  Both of the ignition coils passed resistance checks.  I’m currently working on all the resistance checks for the igniter, which are shown on page 6-6 of the manual.  I’m in a spot now where I don’t trust my readings, or maybe my manual.   I’ve gotten through all checks from pin 1 to to all other pins, and from pin 2 to all other pins.  Every check is giving me an open reading.  I’m testing the multimeter and probe wiring before connecting to each new pin.  I’m also performing each check at every resistance range offered by the meter, from 2 ohms to 2 megohms.  I’m using an old digital Fluke from probably the 1980’s, and I have no reason to suspect the meter.  As a sanity check, I moved over to the pin 3 to pin 4 test because it is supposed to read much lower than most of them, and I got 158,000 ohms.  The max limit there is 27,000 ohms.

Is a failed igniter common on a 2007 GV650?  Can anyone explain why I would be seeing all these open readings?  I don’t know the circuit architecture of the igniter, but it’s hard for me to believe these readings would all be open, even if some failure is present within it.  Is there something special about how I’m supposed to perform these checks on this igniter?

Thanks to anyone who will think about this with me.

–Nate

♠️ MARCEL
      Administrator
      • Topics: 38
      • Replies: 423
      @mf448kxn6
      North UK
      GTR

Hi, sorry I didn’t reply so soon!
      Did you get anywhere then?

I assume you have had a digital meter on the coils , stator unit, plug caps? Other things that cut off sparks are “stand switch,  clutch lever switch, cdi unit, neutral sensor” have you checked those too.

The mystery diodes & igniters embedded in the harness don’t usually just fail, if i am honest. I have worked and repaired few hyosung looms mostly for the lower capacity bikes , the igniters & diodes are always always working just fine, but there isn’t clear cut instructions from KR on how to test them anyway.  If i’m honest always the sensors in the looms that i replaced with failure was the Neutral Switch mystery diode.

// Meditation doesn't mean you have to sit still....

Nate Dawg
      • Topics: 1
      • Replies: 1
      @nathan8752
      Illinois, USA
      GV650

Thanks for that reply.  You are mentioning some things I was thinking about checking eventually, but now I’ll move them to the front of the line, since it sounds like the ignitor module thingy isn’t likely to be low-hanging fruit.

No, I haven’t made any progress yet; I’ve had to get into some other things ahead of it.  Hopefully in the next few weeks I’ll be back at it on this bike.

–Nate

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar