• This topic has 11 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Joe.
Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Ebrahim
      • Topics: 10
      • Replies: 17
      @emojtahedi
      Welwyn Garden City
      GT650R

Hi all riders

I want to readjust (stiff) standard factory rear pre-load suspension for dual riding on GT650R, the owner. Manual does not suggest how many notches to turned the clockwise direction. Any idea?

Simon
      • Topics: 1
      • Replies: 249
      @syco
      Kent
      Gt250 f1

It really is just adjust it until it feels right, suspension is a personal thing when it feels right for you then that’s it, I would move it up 2 notches & see.

Andy650
      • Topics: 3
      • Replies: 28
      @andy
      Surrey
      GV 650 Aquila

I recently adjusted the suspension on my GV650. I moved it 2 notches and next ride out I knew at the first pothole that I’d overdone it. But I think by moving it a couple of notches the difference was probably easier to notice.

Ebrahim
      @emojtahedi
      Welwyn Garden City
      GT650R

Hi Guys

Thanks for your reply I am happy with factory setting on solo riding, what I liked to know is the recommended manufacturer setting for a pillion passenger, I tried with a passenger on standard-setting with rear spring sank too deep so that I readjusted both mirrors and the front tyre was wobbling out of control on the corners a bit dangerous, I guess I will try two notches down if the mirror view did not change with pillion then it should be ok.

Andy650
      @andy
      Surrey
      GV 650 Aquila

Hi Guys Thanks for your reply I am happy with factory setting on solo riding, what I liked to know is the recommended manufacturer setting for a pillion passenger, I tried with a passenger on standard-setting with rear spring sank too deep so that I readjusted both mirrors and the front tyre was wobbling out of control on the corners a bit dangerous, I guess I will try two notches down if the mirror view did not change with pillion then it should be ok.

I doubt that they will recommend a setting because there can be such a big difference in people, are we considering 8 or 18 stone. As a rider are you experienced at carrying a passenger, plus is the passenger an experienced pillion rider, if not you might be fighting them for control of the bike and if they are heavier than you they might be making the bike do things you are not expecting.

Ebrahim
      @emojtahedi
      Welwyn Garden City
      GT650R

Hi

I have no experience riding with a pillion, pillion has no experience as a rear rider. I am 92 KG and my pillion is 91 kg, that is why it is better to get the correct pre-load compression, looking at D Moss videos and others on u tube if rear-seat plunge too much front fork and front tyre loose grip then front wheel starts to get out of control on corners.

Andy650
      @andy
      Surrey
      GV 650 Aquila

Hi I have no experience riding with a pillion, pillion has no experience as a rear rider. I am 92 KG and my pillion is 91 kg, that is why it is better to get the correct pre-load compression, looking at D Moss videos and others on u tube if rear-seat plunge too much front fork and front tyre loose grip then front wheel starts to get out of control on corners.

I still doubt that there is a recommended setting, if your gt is like my gv there are only 5 settings and mine was on 2 to start with so only had 3 options.(I am 90 kg). Follow the first advice and put it up 2 notches to start with.

My advice would be take your pillion out for a lot of low speed urban riding with lots of corners, roundabouts, lights plus especially practice stopping, starting and pulling away. There is a big difference in both handling and performance between solo and two up.

Ebrahim
      @emojtahedi
      Welwyn Garden City
      GT650R

HI

Yes, I agree dual riding is a new experience requires slow practice for safety. My GT must be different with yours in a way that mine does not have any notch or click it is a cylinder with threats. For adjustment of pre-load, it requires one full turn to count as 1 turn. I will measure the static sink, loaded sink it is recommended that 30 mm loaded sink is about an average acceptable for a single rider. I take it from there.

Ebrahim
      @emojtahedi
      Welwyn Garden City
      GT650R

Hi

Following my last topic, I bought C spanner for my GT 650 R rear preload adjustment the diameter of spanner was short but the handle was big enough to move around. I bought another adjustable C spanner 51mm-121 mm its handle is too big to move around the spring it touched rear tyre. Any idea of how I can turn the adjuster to change pre-load.

Andy650
      @andy
      Surrey
      GV 650 Aquila

AS you are trying a C spanner does the adjustment on your suspension consist of a series of holes, which are just under 6 mm diameter around the bottom part of the unit?

Andy650
      @andy
      Surrey
      GV 650 Aquila

Oops, posted twice.

Joe
      • Topics: 0
      • Replies: 1
      @2turbos
      Indianapolis
      GT 650 N

For setting up rear preload information go to Dave Moss Tuning on Youtube.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.